Posts

  • A make file to convert all Jupyter notebooks in a directory to pdfs

    I’m going to be using Jupyter notebooks for the first time in a course I’m teaching (previously I have been using Sage notebooks and python scripting). I’d like to be able to share my notebooks with tutors and eventually students as both notebook but also pdfs. Thankfully the jupyter-nbconverte command lets you easily convert notebooks to more or less whatever you want. Below is a make file that will automatically check if any notebook files have changed and if they have convert them to pdf.

    ...

  • Profiling and reducing memory consumption in Python

    I am one of the core developers of the Axelrod-Python project. This Python library lets you carry out Iterated Prisoner’s dilemma tournaments. One of the great success of the library is the number of strategies it contains, at present (thanks to many awesome contributions) it has 139 strategies (149 if you count the cheaters). This is great but also created a bit of a challenge. Running full tournaments became quite expensive computationally. This is now fixed, thanks mainly to writing and reading to/from disk instead of using memory. This post will describe some tools and techniques that can be used to do this.

    ...

  • Analysis of variance with different sized samples in Python

    Working with Nikoleta we recently needed to carry out an Analysis of Variance (ANOVA) on a data set where the sample size of each category is not constant. This blog post shows very briefly how to carry this out in Python (when using Pandas).

    ...

  • A suggested directory structure for Academia

    I would say that I’ve been learning how to use a computer properly for about 5 years or so now. Once I started to understand things a bit more I realised I wanted a good directory structure for keeping this neat and organised. I searched for one but did not find any (which I found surprising!). So here is a very brief description of how I organise my directories.

    ...

  • The Axelrod project is over a year old

    Over the past month or so, various cool things have happened with the Axelrod project. As well as a variety of cool and clever internal improvements you can now use it to run Probabilistic ending tournaments and also Moran Processes. There is also now a preprint on the arXiv presenting the library as a research tool. This felt like it all came together as a bit of a milestone so I’m writing this blog post to briefly discuss those 3 things and also reflect on the development of library itself.

    ...